Tuesday, October 21, 2014

To the person deciding whether or not to step of their comfort zone and try something new

Well, it feels like forever and a half since I posted anything, but I'm on vacation this week and had some free time to write, so here you go. 

To the person deciding whether or not to step of their comfort zone and try something new: 

Hey, I know you. Yeah, I might not know you personally, but I know what you're going through. Deciding whether or not to go for it. Wondering if risk could be worth the payoff. Worrying about looking like an idiot, or failing completely, or just planing screwing up. Well, let me tell you my story. 

In the spring, I had what I thought was the perfect plan for summer and fall. Me and my friend were going to be cheerleaders for my brother's football team. I had never done anything like that before, but I had talked to the coach, and there were a lot of other girls who hadn't either, so it was fine. 

Now, I am super shy, and this was going to be a new group of people, none of whom I new really well, and most I didn't know at all. I never worried about that, though, because I thought my friend was going to do it with me. 

After I had already mostly sighed up, I found out my friend wasn't going to do it. I totally freaked out. I didn't know what I was going to do. I was scared to try it without knowing people. The last time I had done something without knowing anybody had been 4 years ago. After talking to my parents, I decided to do it.

Now cheer season is almost over, and I am so glad I did this. It wasn't easy at first, I was in tears and almost quit before the second practice, but ultimately it has been a great experience, and I can't believe I almost missed it. You never know what you might miss if you stay in your comfort zone forever. Now, because I love lists, I'm going to give you a list of things I've learned this season. 

1. Not knowing anybody else shouldn't stop you from trying something you really want to. This one was kind of the main the post, but that's because this was my biggest lesson this season. I was so scared to be there, but I went anyway and it was fine. 

2. Stepping out of your comfort zone is the best thing you could ever do for yourself. It doesn't feel like it at first, but once you do it, then you open yourself up to being able to have the best experience ever. 

3. The hard stuff is always worth it. Guess what? Anything good is going to have hard stuff. There were days I so didn't want to go to practice. I had to do school on Sundays for weeks because I just didn't have time to get it done. On Thursdays I had to go from straight from dance to cheer and I was exhausted those nights. But, by far, the good outweighs bad. I could go on and on about that stuff, but I don't have time right now.

To conclude, I am so blessed to have gotten to be a part this amazing team. I am so glad I stuck with it, and traveled outside my comfort zone. And you there, trying to make a decision, take courage from my story, and take a step from your comfort zone. It might just be the best step you ever take. 

                                                                  Peace Out!


No comments:

Post a Comment