Friday, September 13, 2013

How to make introverts more comrfortable

Hi readers! I decided to do a little segment on introverts and how to make them feel more comfortable. I myself am an introvert, and I found a list of 12 ways to make introverts feel more comfortable. These are my thoughts on that list, and some ways I know make me feel more comfortable.

 Some notes before I begin: One, I refer to introverts as group. I might be totally wrong and this stuff applies to just me. If I'm wrong, I'm sorry. I am not a psychologist  and have not really studied introverts. Also, some of this may apply to extroverts. I have no idea if some of this stuff applies to both. 

OK, no more notes. Here's the list.

1. Respect Their Need For Privacy 
I think this one might apply to everyone. Introverts tend to need more privacy though. I know I typically tend keep more stuff private than my extrovert brother. 

2. Never Embarrass Them In Public
An introvert can not laugh it off the way most extroverts can. 

3. Let Them Observe First In New Situations
 Don't pressure them when you introduce them to a new situation. We need time to observe and analyse the situation. 

4. Give Them Time To Think, Don't Demand Instant Answers
If you ask them a question and they don't answer right away don't assume they didn't hear you or are ignoring you. Give us a little time to organize our thoughts before we answer. 

5. Don't Interrupt Them
It's never polite to interrupt anyone, but when you interrupt an introvert they typically are not going to continue to try and talk. They simply don't talk. I am not a talkative person at all, and if you interrupt me I just don't say anything. 

6. Give Them Advance Notice Of Changes Expected In Their Lives
I like to know as far ahead as possible anything that will be changing. 

7. Give Them 15 Minute Warnings To Finish Whatever They Are Doing
We don't like to be rushed, so it helps us if we know exactly how long is left. 

8. Reprimand Them Privately
Please do not fuss at us in front of a lot of people. I was never a kid who was fussed at by teachers, but the few times I was I literally almost cried.

9. Teach Them New Skills Privately
Introverts tend to be very self-conscious, and when learning a new skill it is best to do it privately. 

10. Enable Them To Find One Best Friend With Similar Interests And Abilities
An introvert doesn't need a crowd of people, we need a few close friends. 

11. Don't Push Them To Make Lots Of Friends
We don't need a huge group, and having a bunch of not very close friendships is not how introverts roll.

12. Respect Their Introversion, Don't Try To Turn Them Into Extroverts
This is the most important one. Introverts have trouble being their selves, and if you pressure us to be extroverts it it makes us very uncomfortable. 

Hope this helped you view introverts in a new way. Here are my own do's and don'ts for dealing with introverts. 

Do: Talk to them
Just because I don't talk a lot doesn't mean I don't have anything to say. It helps if you talk directly to them. Then they don't have work to insert themselves into the conversation, you've helped them do that. 

Don't: Think that because they aren't speaking they don't want to talk
This one is basically the same as the one above, but it is an important concept. We want to be included, we just aren't sure how to insert our selves. 

Don't: Let it bother you that we don't talk a lot
Believe it or not, we can sense if it bothers you that we are quiet. There are several people I can think of right off the bat that I feel it bothers them I don't talk much. Give us time, and we will open up. It takes a while for us to get comfortable.

Don't: Tell us we're quiet, especially in front of other people
If you tell me I'm quiet, at best it does nothing, at worst it puts me on the spot and I'm even less likely to talk. Even more important is the part about not calling them out in front of people. I had an instructor who was telling me and my group about an activity we were going to do that involved speaking in front of the whole group. She then proceeded to say, "Even you, Kathryne, I know you're quiet and shy." I was so embarrassed! Now, this group consisted primarily of people I did not know, and I had tried hard that evening to be more outgoing. When she said that, not only did it embarrass me, but it made me feel like she didn't care that I had tried so hard to be less quiet and shy. Needless to say, telling us we are quiet is not a good thing. 

I hope you enjoyed reading about introverts. Comment below and tell me what you think. 
                                                                  Peace out!

3 comments: